This lip balm is fast becoming a firm favourite with friends. It is quite hard, so next time I may add a little more Marula oil to soften it a little. Yet, one friend said that she enjoyed it being hard as it is still very moisturising and a little goes a long way. The peppermint Essential oil gives the balm a slight tingle on ones lips, which is not unpleasant.
This recipe was taken from a you tube presentation by mountain Herbs and then adapted for our south African climate and oils that are more local. The following recipe makes 50ml, which we placed into 5 little 10ml balm tubs. Please note that we sell this lip balm if you do not wish to make your own.
Grapefruit and Peppermint Lip Balm
- 16ml Beeswax
- 33ml Marula oil
- 20 drops Grapefruit pure essential oil
- 8 drops Lime pure essential oil
- 2 drops Peppermint pure essential oil
- Place beeswax in a double boiler (for such small quantities i used a small glass jar placed into a small pot of gently bubbling hot water).
- Add Marula oil once the wax is all melted. The wax will harden when it comes into contact with the colder oil. Keep it in the hot water and gently stir until it is all melted again.
- Take off the heat and stir in the essential oils.
- Decant into the containers of your choice.