A couple of weeks ago, we posted an article on essential oils and synergistic blends which can be used externally to help with nasal and chest congestion. Today, we will look at herbs which can be taken internally to help our bodies heal.
Colds and Flu herbal tea blend: This herbal blend works very well at the first sign of the sniffles. As soon as you feel achy, or sinusy, make yourself some of this tea. It works wonders and has you feeling better in no time at all. It your cold is more established, then you can add ginger, lemon and honey to this tea, drink it three times a day, and it will help remove all the ‘gunk’ that has built up in your sinuses and throat.
This blend contains:
- Yarrow (Achillea millefolium), which helps to reduce fever, and acts as a decongestant.
- Mints (a variety of mentha), which has painkilling and antiseptic properties.
- Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica), which helps boost the immune system.
- Thyme (Thymus vulgaris), with antiviral and expectorant properties.
- Lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus), helping to reduce a fever.
- Catnip (Nepeta cataria), also helping to reduce any temperature, as well as soothing the throat and sinuses.
Thyme: On its own, Thyme is a very powerful herb. If you have a sore throat, laryngitis, or a bad nasal drip, this helpful herb is your answer. It also helps when you find yourself with a case of sinusitis.
Both the blend or the thyme can be made into a tea by steeping one teaspoon herb into a cup of boiled water for 10 minutes. Strain it, and drink. (3 times a day until symptoms are relieved)
Please note that we will always advise you to take herbs under the advisement of a naturapath or other healer (yes, doctors included).