Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), also known as spastic colon, is a functional disorder of the bowel. This causes abdominal pain, bloating, discomfort, and constipation. Sometimes, IBS may also cause diarrhea. The major causes of irritable bowel syndrome are microbial infections of the gastrointestinal tract and stress. Aromatherapy oils are useful in helping to treat some of the symptoms of IBS. It is recommended that one consult a registered aromatherapist for the safe and optimal use of aromatherapy oils. You must always dilute these essential oils with a carrier oil like coconut, jojoba, or grapeseed or sweet almond oils Pure aromatherapeutic essential oils are highly concentrated oils and their usage without dilution can cause adverse effects like skin irritation and rashes.
• As irritable bowel syndrome is also caused by stress, you can use lavender essential oil to relieve mental depression and tensions. It helps ameliorate your mood and makes you feel elated.
• Peppermint oil can be diluted in 2 tablespoons of carrier oil and rubbed or massaged over the area of discomfort or a few drops can be used in an aromatherapy burner.
Some other essential oils that can be used to relieve irritable bowel syndrome are as follows:
• Clary sage essential oil to regulate bowel movements and relieve the symptoms of IBS.
• Cinnamon essential oil is also known for its anti-septic properties. It can help relieve IBS if the cause of the affliction is a microbial infection.
• Other essential oils that can be used are ginger and fennel essential oils.
• Other essential oils that can be used to relieve stress and thereby, irritable bowel syndrome, are neroli, rose, and frankincense essential oils.
Here is a 5 minute video demonstrating a tummy self massage. Enjoy.